Thursday, February 12, 2015

Impending babies, everywhere

So let me see if I can get this all straight:

  • I have a co-worker expecting twins (one boy, one girl)
  • I have another co-worker expecting his second child
  • My cousin and his wife are expecting their second child
  • My brother's best buddy and his wife are expecting a long-hoped-for baby
I think that's it. I think.

(Just watch; I'll find out tomorrow that someone else at work is expecting.)

I think the twins are the highest priority right now. They're not due for another few months, but twins tend to come early, so I should really get the gifts finished up ASAP. Fortunately, the baby girl's gift is all done (see my previous post). The baby boy's actually saw backwards action yesterday (woe), because I had to frog most of the first sleeve and do it again with more frequent increases so it wouldn't turn out so long. But I'm now working on the cap sleeve decreases, so I'm almost back up to where I was before, completion-wise.

My brother's buddy's baby (lookit all that alliteration!) is probably the next priority, I think. I'm not sure exactly when the baby is due, but I suspect early spring. Fortunately, the blanket that I started is coming along at a very nice pace since I've been concentrating almost exclusively on it since Monday.

I think my co-worker's wife is due before my cousin's wife, so on Tuesday night I cast on for that project, too. He's into fantasy-based gaming as well as reading stuff like Game of Thrones, so I thought it would be perfect if I broke out a pattern that I've wanted to make for a while: Dragon, by Ruth Bramley. It's a "woobie" (combination blanket/stuffed toy). I dug out a whole bunch of superwash DK yarn from my stash and I am LOVING how it's coming out so far.

Dragon, in progress
(Why yes, I did create 3mm straights by putting elastic bands at the ends of two DPNs. DON'T YOU JUDGE ME.)

Admittedly, it's smaller than I had envisioned, but I can always make it bigger by making the border wider. I'm planning to seriously modify the border anyway because it looks like it's all crochet, which, uh...yeah, not my strong suit. I'm not sure I feel like bugging my mom to help me figure out what all the instructions mean. I'd rather trawl through one of my stitch dictionaries to find a knitted edging that will be just as effective.

No comments: