Friday, November 04, 2005

Progress is my middle name

Cape Cod for MIL
This is really shaping up (pun sort of intended). I've divided for the armscyes (last week's goal) and am now working on the back yoke (this week's goal):

This is such a terrific pattern. I'm still four days behind schedule, but then again, last week I was five days behind schedule, so there is still a faint glimmer of hope. I have Remembrance Day off next week, so I will probably use that to try and catch up.

Fafner blanket for baby Muth
I worked some more on this last night, and I'm about halfway to starting the dragon cable motif in the middle.


Sure, it doesn't look like much now, but wait until you see the dragon cable. :)

Onesie for baby Lounsbury
I spent a lot of thought on this yesterday. I had decided to make the all-in-one from Zoe Mellor's Double Knits. It's a very cute little pattern - nothing stand-out, but very sweet and appealing. My problem was deciding upon what colours to use. The instructions call for a two-colour stripe pattern - one thick stripe, one thin - with an edging the colour of the thin stripe around areas like the neckline.

I considered ignoring the stripe instructions and doing the onesie in a solid colour, with a second colour to contrast at the edgings. This would certainly speed the project up, which is highly desireable since I really don't have the time to do it in the first place. On the other hand, the stripes really do make the whole thing quite charming.

I also had a few colour scheme possibilities in mind. What I wanted originally was to do the thick stripe in lavender and the thin stripe in cream. However, I don't have nearly enough lavender in the stash to be able to do this, and no faith at all that my local Zellers will have any more. So I had to come up with a different colour combination. I was thinking of green and yellow, but I didn't think they would look very nice together in this particular pattern, plus we all know that I knit too much green stuff anyway.

So what did I do? Typical me - I made things more difficult by deciding to do the thin stripes in cream, and the thick stripes in, alternatingly, mint and lavender. I know, green and purple sounds like an odd combination, but I think it works extremely well:

The only question is, will I have enough lavender? Naturally I went ahead without figuring it out or taking a trip to Zellers to see if I could get more before casting on. What can I say, I live on the edge.

For those that are curious, the rumour mill says that the baby is a girl. However, I have trouble believing this. First of all, ultrasounds are only right about 80% of the time. And second of all, this department saw the birth of ten girls in a row, and then the next two babies were boys. By my reckoning, that means that this next baby (and the next seven departmental babies after that) will all be boys. It's Fate. So no girlie and/or pink stuff for this baby. However, since there is always the slight possibility that I am wrong, I would be wise not to make the gift too boyish, either. Hence the gender-neutral colours.

No comments: