Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pattern?

A few weeks ago, I sat down with DD1 and we went through patterns on Ravelry, looking for something for me to make for her teacher's holiday gift. I steered the search process slightly in order to get her to choose something from my queue, and she zeroed in on Kerin Dimeler-Laurence's Transition Gloves. These are a very cool (and very popular) set of fingerless gloves, done stranded, where you start with lots of the first colour at the bottom, with just a smattering of the second colour; and as you go up, the pattern works in more and more of the second colour until finally right before you begin the hand, you've flipped and have lots of the second colour, with just a smattering of the first colour. It's really cool and has been in my queue for a while.

Anyway, DD1 really liked it, and I did a quick glance at the pattern's Ravelry page and thought I saw that it was available for $6 online, so we went happily on our merry way, discussing colour choices, and deciding to use some leftover yarn support (can't talk about what it's leftover from yet, though) combined with some green yarn (green is this teacher's favourite colour) which we bought this past weekend at our LYS.

We returned home triumphantly from our shopping expedition, and I went online to buy the pattern.

Oh.

Not actually available online.

Available in print, though...okay. I can wait.

So I went hunting for retailers that carried it. First of all, they were few and far between. And then all the ones I tried, I couldn't do it. I think shops just don't carry the pattern anymore. One shop did let me add it to my cart...but when I tried to check out, I discovered that their online shopping feature hadn't been finished yet and I couldn't buy a darn thing.

It was at this point that I started reading the comments and posts on Ravelry about this pattern. I came away from that realising that getting my hands on a copy of this pattern was going to be very, very difficult.

Disappointment reigned.

But I was not to be defeated. I decided to redact the pattern instead.

In progress, 2013-10-27

In progress, 2013-10-28

Completed, 'in action'

It went well.

Current finished holiday gift count: seven out of thirteen. Actually ten, if you count things that just need blocking/buttons/ends sewing in to be "done".

Yay!

3 comments:

MemyselfandI said...

OK it this a pattern?????

Kathleen said...

No, it's just a story of how I did the pattern without having a pattern. :)

Selina Kyle Squad said...

Nice blog tthanks for posting