Thursday, June 07, 2012

Where haven't I been

When last I blogged, I had had another pattern idea. Since that time, I have finalised the design, found a magazine issue that would be a great fit for the pattern, realised the deadline was today, panicked, knitted a prototype, mostly wrote the instructions, started a swatch, made great progress on the swatch, realised as I was approaching the end of the swatch that I'd irretrievably screwed up really early in the swatch, ripped out most of the swatch, finished the swatch, blocked it, measured gauge, wrote the pattern proposal, and, finally, today, sent the submission.

Needless to say, it's been a bit of a whirlwind (especially the last two days), and blogging got put aside.

Which is not to say that things were not happening! Heck, no. I've been getting mentioned on podcasts! :)

The Knit Girllls did a review of the latest issue of Jane Austen Knits in their Episode 112: Skein Winder Explosion (around the 22-minute mark). They mentioned some of their favourite patterns in it, and my baby bonnet made the list! Woo-hoo! So that was pretty awesome.

And then, Julia of the Sticks and Stones podcast talked about her Hat Heel sock project in Episode 5: Troubleshooting Knitting (around the two-and-a-half minute mark).

Also, Carin from Round the Twist mentioned in her last three episodes about the Jayne Hat Cupcake and Dalek Cupcake patterns I whipped up (see left sidebar), which is awesome, I'm so glad she likes them and I'm sure I'll be able to make a few more cupcakes between now and her wedding, too.

I also realised that the end of the school year is coming up, and that means it's time to get knitting thank-you gifts for teachers. DD2's teacher just gave a generic thank you to all parents for the Christmas gifts in one of the kindergarten newsletters, so I'm not really inclined to give him something else handknitted anytime soon, so that takes care of that (DH will find a nice wine instead). However, DD1 has two teachers, so I still have to get cracking.

I think I have enough of the leftover red Cascade 220 from the morning teacher's Christmas gift (a cowl) to do wristwarmers in the same stitch pattern. That'll be pretty awesome if I do indeed have the yardage to pull it off. (And if not...I have no idea what I'm going to do. I'll fall off that bridge if I come to it.) And for the afternoon teacher, who is new since about the March Break (the previous one had a baby), I met her the other day and she is young, vibrant, and energetic, with a fun fashion style. I'm going to take advantage of this to make one of the ruffle scarves that are all the rage at my LYS these days. Unfortunately (sorry, June!) the shop's summer hours, when combined with my schedule these days, are not conducive to being able to come in with DD1 for yarn selection any time soon, and this is time-sensitive, so we hit Michaels for the yarn instead. It's "Boutique Sashay" from Red Heart, and here is a horrible webcam shot of it:

120602-182540

It looks like a ribbon yarn, but the ribbon actually opens up into a mesh that you somehow knit into the holes of to make this spiralling scarf. The pattern is on the back of the label. I really want to give it a try but have been concentrating on getting that design proposal out the door instead. I'm looking forward to starting it, hopefully sometime today or tonight.

Finally, DH's birthday was this week and he loved his new socks!

Completed, 'in action'

He finished socks for himself, too:

P6040321

At the moment he's working on finishing up a second pair for himself, and is also flipping through my Jane Austen Knits for project possibilities. I think he's going to go with the Marianne Dashwood Shawl for my mom for Christmas. He wants to make something for me, but realised that everything I would want is also something that I want to do the knitting of! :) Ah, well. I'm sure he'll enjoy making the shawl anyway. He wants to get his feet wet in lace knitting. I think it'll be a fabulous introduction for him! I'll just have to see if our library has a copy of No Sheep for You we can pore over, since wool makes my mom itch.

No comments: