Wednesday, May 09, 2012

The challenge was a good idea

I was going to post this tomorrow, but Peyton seemed eager to hear about it. ;) And since I'm eager to talk about it, I'm delighted to reveal that the latest (summer 2012) issue of Jane Austen Knits has my "Beloved" baby bonnet pattern in it! At the risk of sounding like a total designer noob, this is my first print magazine publication, which is very exciting. Mind you, it won't actually come out in print form until end of May/beginning of June, but the digital version is available now, so I'm revealing!

The bonnet was inspired by this extant piece, and I am really pleased with how it all turned out. I was particularly jazzed with the sample piece I made for the issue - possibly the tidiest finishing I've ever done. Here's DD3 modelling it before I sent it off to the editor:

front

Completed, 'in action', front view


side

Completed, 'in action', side view


back

Completed, 'in action', back view

In the actual magazine, the very sweet little model is the same baby who appears on the cover of the latest issue of Petite Purls. It was fun to be able to look at that other pattern and think, "Hey, wait a minute...I've seen that baby before!" :)

I was also tickled because this was the very first pattern I submitted as part of my 12-in-12 challenge. So it was pretty exciting to have a 100% success rate for a while there. (At this point though, I'm at 50%. But I'm sure I'll eventually repackage the design that didn't make it and submit it somewhere else.)

2 comments:

Peyton VanWinkle said...

CUTE! Looks like a real heirloom, like something you'd pull out of your Gramy's hope chest, you know? I like it a lot!

Eric and Joanna Johnson said...

I absolutely adore this little bonnet! Yes, she is the same sweet baby from the spring issue of Petite Purls. I am happy to know you recognized her! Congratulations on your published design!