Wednesday, April 11, 2012

In the pink

DD2's birthday tank top was finished on time. Just on time, as in, minutes before the midnight which began her birthday. I managed to have enough pink (with none left over) to do the i-cord on the straps by alternating pink and white stitches. Thus:

Front:

Completed, front

Back:

Completed, back

I don't have a picture of her wearing it yet, but when I do one, I'll post that, too. But it looks great and should fit her for a while. I'm very pleased. (And, more importantly, so is she!)

I also hit a snag on the new gosh-I-love-it design that I was working on: I ran out of yarn for the size I was making. (As my brother would say, "Wah-waaaaah.") I don't need a huge amount of yarn to finish it off, but it's not like I just need two more yards, either. And the yarn store is totally out of what I was using.

But, all is not lost. I have a plan. First of all, I don't think it's giving away the farm (especially since this is just a sizing sample) to say that the yarn I've run out of is pink. It's the leftovers from these socks I made for DD1:

Completed, in action

I also happen to have in the stash the exact same kind of yarn in a different colourway, leftover from this poncho:

Completed, front view

and these socks which I still haven't finished even though all I have to do is weave in the ends:

In progress, 2009-09-18

And the leftovers are, happily, mostly pink:

Leftover sock yarn

The question of course is whether there's actually enough pink in all that to complete the knitting of my prototype. And if there isn't, would there be enough if I cannibalized the pink portions of the toes of those unfinished socks? Moreover, would it look completely dumbass for some of the prototype to be knitted in stripes of different pinks, and then the last bit knitted in a solid pink? Not to mention that it isn't really the same kind of pink as all the other pinks?

Well...I'm about to find out. Wish me luck.

No comments: