Thursday, February 09, 2012

Yarn purchase justification

So yesterday was Knit Night at my LYS, and the bargain bin was chock-full of this:

Zitron Polo

That's "Polo", a 60% cotton/40% acrylic blend that Ravelry says is worsted, but feels too thin for that; and the label gives a sportweight range of needle sizes. So I'm figuring it's sportweight.

It was on sale for $1 a ball. So I bought 40.

Yeah, you read that right.

It's a fabulous grey - very neutral, dark enough to be masculine, light enough to show cables and texture patterns. 40 balls gives me over 6100 yards, which is enough for at least three man-size sweaters, possibly four. That's three or four really great gifts for the men in my life for only forty bucks. Not damn bad, I figured.

And then, while I was at it, I figured what the heck, and bought some of the Mexiko Cotton Stretch that the owner just recently got into the shop:

Fortissima Mexiko purple


Fortissima Mexiko grey

At least one of those - definitely the beige/grey one - is destined to be gift socks for either my dad or my brother. The purple will either be for my mom, or - if I'm feeling selfish - me.

Golly, but I love being able to fit yarn purchases into the gifts section of our budget. :)

No comments: