Saturday, June 04, 2011

So far, so good

I don't want to tempt fate by getting all arrogant or anything, but I think I can cautiously say that so far, my deadline-driven knitting from my last entry is going well.

Celtic Pennies for DH
His birthday is tomorrow and I finished them on Friday. They're now drying from the blocking.

Completed

I strongly suspect that they're much too huge, but nonetheless, I think they look great. We'll just have to wait and see. I did have to cut out several rounds from the toe chart so that the foot length wouldn't be ridiculously long on DH, but it still looks okay.

Sourpatch for DD2
I appear to have achieved escape velocity from the Black Hole Of Eternal Stocking Stitch, because...

Completed, 'in action'

Just finished this evening. And not only do I love the result, but I also love the miniscule amount of yarn I had remaining when it was all over:

Yarn left

Maria Sings for DD1
The shrug is not, alas, finished like the other two projects, but it's still doing quite well and the latest comparison of shrug-to-child's-actual-body from this morning showed that I'm close to being at the halfway point, with a few weeks to go.

I may, however, get distracted from the shrug by another project that there's no rush to finish at all. (Typical.) There's a bit of a backstory to this one. My grandmother and uncle have basically been chased out of my grandma's condo by the fact that when their condo board decided to redo the decor in the building, they chose to use oil-based paints. Every. Freakin'. Where. They are not the only residents to have been unable to bear the resulting toxic atmosphere in the building, and are basically out of a home for the next few months. Yeah. Being displaced from one's home is ever so conducive to the continued good health of a 95-year-old woman.

(In case you couldn't hear the drip-drip-dripping sound, that last sentence was pure sarcasm.)

However, by a marvellous stroke of luck, one of my mom's good friends in her building is away for a few months, and, as it turns out, is more than happy to allow my grandmother and uncle the use of her unit during that time.

I am more grateful to this nice lady than I can say.

I must knit for her.

I'm thinking seriously about Liv, by Elsebeth Lavold. I would want to convert it into a cardigan rather than a sweater, but that looks like it will be super-easy. I just have to wait for my mom to tell me what size she wears. Oh, and get yarn for it. (Although I may have something in the stash that will work.)

So...will I have the self-control to hold off on starting this until after my daughter's shrug is finished?

Yeah, I'm thinking no, too. My ability to resist Startitis is non-existent.

1 comment:

Carrie K said...

Lovely, your Grandparents condo board. Nice of your Mom's friend though!

Sourpatch is too cute.