Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Intentions

Typically, when coming off a time-sensitive knitting project (or, as in my case recently, two time-sensitive knitting projects), I will feel rather at loose ends and start looking for something new and interesting to do. This despite the fact that I already have scads of WIPs lying around the house waiting for me to pick them back up again, some of them probably also time-sensitive. And yet, invariably, I will find myself with brand-new and exciting projects planned.

And that is exactly what is happening right now.

Maria Sings for DD1
The time-sensitive knitting project still on the needles, and about to be unceremoniously dumped for other things, is my older daughter's shrug, which needs to be finished by her recital in a few weeks. Fortunately, I am not being completely irresponsible with it...

In progress, 2011-06-07

As you can see, I've done the first half and am well on my way to finishing the second half.

However, other stuff has definitely crept onto my radar.

Hobbes for baby #3
Firstly, I was no longer able to resist Tall Tiger, by Browneyedbabs. I started it on the weekend and it's going very well indeed, if a bit macabre-looking at the moment:

In progress, 2011-06-07

Parfait for Shoshana
Also this past weekend, I threw a 50th birthday party for my fabulous husband, and we got to catch up with some friends that we haven't seen in a while. One of them was a friend I've known since grade six, who has been following the parade of knitting project pictures that shows up on my Facebook page, and was apparently really wowed by my Parfait design. Her daughter loved it, too.

Well.

If that doesn't make a pseudo-auntie want to make a girl a cardigan, what will? My friend's daughter has a lovely golden skin tone and apparently likes pink, so I was thinking of using the Marble yarn from James C. Brett again, this time in the "Moss" colourway, which is the lighter yarn used in this project:

kwbtsfhatk

Eye-bleeding socks for Hector
And speaking of 50th birthdays, a very dear friend of mine recently celebrated his, and I want to make him something suitably celebratory. He is very much into unspeakably awful (read: bright and obnoxious) plaids, so I thought that Kilt Hose by Kerin Dimeler-Laurence and Nina Isaacson, using the brightest sock yarn leftovers my stash could provide, would work really, really well. Sadly, the purchase link from the pattern's Ravelry page doesn't work, and I can't find it any-damn-where else. So I've PMed Kerin on Ravelry in the hopes that she can help me get my hands on a copy. I've also messaged the birthday boy's wife (also a knitter) to get an idea of how big the socks should actually be.

Liv for Hazel
Then, of course, we have the cardigan I spoke of in my last entry, which I want to make for the very nice lady who is letting my grandma and my uncle live in her apartment while their own condo de-toxifies this summer. (Although there is still apparently the issue of convincing my grandmother to go along with this plan instead of moving back into her toxic unit next week, sigh.) My mom agrees with me that Liv is an excellent choice for this lady's style, and says that if I made it in navy, it could replace her favourite cardigan (also navy), which is kind of falling apart right now. I do have some great navy superwash in the stash, but it's worsted and the pattern calls for sportweight. I've figured out, however, that I can use the instructions for the smallest size and probably still end up with something that will fit the intended recipient, although I may have to shave a few stitches off the sides so that it's not too wide.

Now I just have to figure out where the hell I put all my pairs of 4.5mm straights.

Midwife gifts
We're approaching the point where I will need some. I've been musing over a bunch of possibilities. For one of my midwives, I particularly like Duet and Rodekool quite a bit, and a few other patterns, but I'm having a tough time matching up pattern ideas to what I can find while stashdiving in a way that makes me happy. So I will have to keep thinking on this one. Also, I still need to do a serious think about what I would like to make for my other midwife.

Celtic Pennies for DH
I gave them to DH for his birthday and he adored them. Sadly, as feared, they are way, WAYYYYY too huge on him, so I will have to rip them out and do them all over again. Sigh. I keep reminding myself that it's the thought that counts.

No comments: