Thursday, February 11, 2010

Faster than a speeding DPN...able to cover a small baby in a single piece...

On Saturday, I mentioned that I'd cast on for the Baby Surprise Jacket and was about two inches in. Well...

In progress (missing buttons), from front, 2010-02-11
Front view

In progress (missing buttons), from back, 2010-02-11
Back view

On Tuesday I finished weaving in all the ends. The only reason it's not officially "finished" is that I don't have buttons for it. (I have depleted my not-reserved-for-other-projects button stash to the point where it can no longer cope with garments requiring more than one or two buttons.)

This pattern is really awesome. I can't believe how quickly it knits up; the shaping of how it all goes together is really cool; it is tremendously sweet when done; and there are almost infinite striping and colour possibilities. I like it so much that...I decided to do it again! Yes, it's another stashbusting project - I'm full of 'em these days. I had a little more than one skein of Plymouth Dreambaby DK in the stash - it's a very sweet variegated baby pink/baby blue/mint green. I'm hoping I can get away with finishing the project with the amount of yarn I have, but I may be out of luck. However, there's only one way to find out!

This will be put on hold, of course, once the opening ceremonies start tomorrow and I can cast on for the Paisley Long Shawl (which I'm doing for not only the Ravelympics but the 2010 Knitting Olympics). I'm still not sure whether I've actually challenged myself with trying to complete this during the Olympics, or whether I've given myself an easy cakewalk, but, again, I guess there's only one way to find out. I'll be using three different colours of Fiddlesticks Zephyr Laceweight Wool-Silk - violet, ruby and mahogany, I believe the names are. I think it's going to look awesome. I've got the needles, yarn and pattern all bagged up and ready to go!

Finally, there's one more project to talk about...the "toy hammock" I've been making for my older daughter's bedroom, to hold her Webkinz toys. I finished off the knitting a few weeks ago, but last night finally got around to sewing in the ends. I haven't mounted it yet, so it's very unexciting at the moment:

Completed

However, I'm hoping that DH will find where he put the picture hanging hooks pretty soon so I can get this sucker mounted on the wall. Once that's done, I'll take pictures of the hammock on the wall, filled with Webkinz. If it all works the way I think it will, I'll finish writing up the pattern and make it available!

No comments: