Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Discussion of the issue

Besides mine, there are twenty-one other designs in the latest issue of Knitty, so I figured I'd write a bit about which ones I covet the most.

Hex
This graces the cover, and it's a nice, understated lace pattern with a lot of stocking stitch. When I first saw it, I thought it was very nice, and admired it, but figured I'd never actually knit it. But then I saw a post that the designer made on Ravelry, on the "veiled knitters" board, saying that it would make a good warm weather hijab, and my brain went zing! I live in a very diverse neighbourhood (we did that very much on purpose when we bought our house) with a significant Muslim population, and I just know that at some point in the future, one of the people I will want to knit a gift for (teacher of one of my children, mother of a friend of one of my children, girlfriend of one of my children, etc.) will be able to use a handknitted hijab; and I am going to have a fantastic gift idea all ready to go. Genius. So I'm not planning to make this anytime soon, but it's definitely stewing on the backburner, ready to go when needed.

Colonnade
I thought this was really pretty, stylish and practical, looks fast to knit, and it would make a great gift. Don't know when I'm going to make it, but someday I probably will.

Margot
This looks like a terrific sweater. Basic, simple, great lines, looks like it'd flatter just about every shape...winner.

1 Across
DD1 really likes this and asked me to make her one.

Bel
I like the construction of this. I don't know if I'll ever make it, but I think it's neat.

Girl Friday
If I were a knitter who made most of her projects for herself, this would probably already be on my needles! I like it. It'll probably be years before I get around to making it, but I like it.

Renaissance
This one intrigues me. I'm not sure how it would look on a smaller person like me, but I suspect it would be very nice, so I might well want to make it for myself at some point.

Mi Escuelita
I cast it on today. I'm making it as a winter holiday gift for the younger daughter of our daycare provider. I'm using Emu Superwash DK in royal purple from the stash...

s-nat-emuswash-purple

...and it's going to look STUNNING on her. DD1 concurs that it's a great gift idea for this girl, and also really wants one for herself. Big hit. Nice job, Rosi!

No comments: