Sock class yesterday! The students bought their yarn and started up their socks (we're doing top-down). It didn't go as smoothly as the first class because a couple of the students had difficulties with the joining in the round (which is to be expected, it's definitely tricky at first). But everybody persevered, so I think we'll be able to continue on next week with heels.
- Dress socks for DH
- I needed my own sock project to demonstrate sock knitting techniques to my class with as we go, so I started this up. They'll be for DH...which I didn't take into account when I first started, and so cast on 64 stitches instead of 72. But I realised my mistake pretty quickly, ripped it back and started over. I shouldn't have any trouble getting to the heel starting point by next Wednesday.
- The Girlfriend Shrug for DD1
- The centre back panel is now finished!
Unfortunately, as I suspected, the shrug is too small across the back. It's 12.5" wide instead of the required 14". So, I have to heave a deep, fortifying breath and put in two more panels. They'll be single braids, one on each side of the wide panel.
- Rainbow lace blanket
- The slog continues.
- Tubey for moi
- The body is really coming along:
- Like, totally top
- I bought some St-Tropez câblé from Schaffhauser to swatch with so I could start the designing process. It seemed to be sportweight-ish, with a nice sparkly strand running through it to give it a little jazziness, which was what I was looking for. The fibre combination also seemed very good - 37% cotton, 32% virgin wool, 31% viscose. I took it home, swatched it up (finalising the main pattern in the process), and concluded that it was exactly perfect for this top.
Then I discovered that the yarn was discontinued.
A thousand curses! The yarn in the shop that seems to be the next best substitute is "romanze" from Scholler, which also seems to be discontinued (at least, I can't find any mention of it on the Scholler website).
But, according to the Knitty pattern submissions FAQ, you can submit a pattern for a garment that you used a discontinued yarn for, but you need to give an alternate that will produce similar results. So I think that's what I'll do - go with the câblé anyway, and then list a decent substitute when I submit the pattern.
- Ravelry position
- You signed up on July 6, 2007
You are #14465 on the list.
7577 people are ahead of you in line.
6239 people are behind you in line.
32% of the list has been invited so far