Thursday, September 01, 2005

You know what they say about women with big feet...

...They knit big socks.

Striped socks for moi
I'm getting to that point where I need to know how long the foot should be so I can turn the heel at the right spot. So I measured my foot - my right foot, which was an uncharacteristically smart move (I'm righthanded and dominant feet tend to be longer, or so I understand). My foot is slightly over nine and a half inches long. Yes, that's right - I'm under 5'2" and I have a 9.5" foot. No one ever believes this, though, because my feet don't actually look that big. Even my brother - who lived with me for years and years and saw my feet and footwear on a daily basis - once called me up and asked if a friend of his could borrow a pair of my shoes because she had a job interview and nothing appropriate to wear on her feet.

"What size does she take?" I asked.
"Oh, about a five and a half," he said.
"Dude, I wear a size eight, eight and a half," I replied.
"No WAY!" was his response. "Man...you've got big feet!"

What can I say - it runs in my family. My mom, who at this point is probably the same height as I am, wears a size nine. My poor grandmother (my mom's mom), in her youth, had to endure what was basically footbinding, because her mother (a piece of work if ever there was one, if half the stories I've heard are true) thought big feet were 'ugly' and refused to buy her correctly-sized shoes. (Resulting in some very nasty foot surgery for my grandmother in later life.)

Fortunately, I've never minded my big feet one bit...until I realised it meant more work to make myself socks. :) It'd be great if I could just turn the heel right now. However, I still have about an inch and a quarter to go. Shouldn't take long.

Simultaneous striping and pooling continues.

Stornaway sweater for BIL (blue)
The back is done! The back is done!

I'm very pleased. Last night I began the left shoulder strap, and it's coming along nicely. I'm looking forward to working on it tonight, assuming no yarn comes in today's mail to distract me.

Romper for baby Marte
If the royal blue yarn comes in today's mail, I am so not getting anything else done tonight.

Lacy shawl for baby Muth
Got another row done on the commute this morning. What with all the increasing, it's getting harder and harder to finish one row in a decent amount of time. But I'm over a quarter done the shawl (pre-edging), so it's not like I'm not making progress. It just seems like I'm not making progress.

No comments: