Saturday, July 09, 2005

Choosing between what is easy and what is right

(In light of the fact that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince comes out in exactly a week, I thought today's title was particularly appropos.)

Mountain Laurel Counterpane for baby boy Gelman
After much agony, I had to bow to what my soul was telling me - there was no way I could give the blanket as it was. It just looked ridiculous. I was forced to do the border over again, this time long enough so that the blanket could lie flat. The question was, could I do the border in the same turquoise as the body and not run out of yarn?

Using my trusty postage scale, I weighed how much of the turquoise yarn I had left, and the amount that I had used in the border. Based on this, I concluded that I could safely add 12 more border pattern repeats to the border without running out of yarn. I also took some measurements and figured that the addition of these 12 pattern repeats would probably be enough to let the blanket lie flat. And I decided to rejig the way I was knitting the borders around the corners so there would be more 'give' and less 'stretch' there. Once I had all this information under my belt, I started again, this time picking up (so help me) 544 stitches all around the edge of the blanket.

Panic REALLY set in yesterday when my mom called me to tell me that the baby had been born that morning! (No name that we know of yet, but we do know it's a boy and that everyone is healthy. YAY!) I started really knitting like mad and finished this afternoon. The border looks sooo much better. I am very, very pleased.


completed blanket


'artistic' shot

Hooded jacket for baby Sperling
Right side of the hood is done, and the left side of the hood is over halfway completed.

Stornaway sweater for BIL (blue)
I got a few more rows done on the commute home on Tuesday, but I haven't worked any further on it since then due to Counterpane blanket panic. :)

No comments: