Thursday, June 30, 2005

I forgot again

A few months ago, I went to my first Wednesday-night SnB at Lettuce Knit. I enjoyed it a lot, really liked meeting everyone, and admired the shop (although, with our limited budget these days, I alas did not feel I could buy anything). I have been meaning to go back on a semi-regular basis ever since.

The problem is that going to one of these things takes a bit of planning. First of all, DH has to agree to put DD to bed by himself. I also want to warn DD in the morning that she won't see me that night, because I don't think it's fair to make changes in her routine without actually warning her of them first. I need to make sure I have enough money or tickets for the York Region Transit bus which will take me home. Also, I need to pack extra food if I don't want to starve. And finally, there is the need to pick a night where there are not eight million things to do. So it's definitely not a spur-of-the-moment kind of decision.

Last week would have been a perfect time to go. And Wednesday morning (too late!) I got to work and realised I had completely forgotten to plan for it.

This week, I told myself. I really wanna go, and besides, Aven is moving soon, and it would be great to actually see her before she ups and leaves the province. And, yep, you guessed it...yesterday morning I got to work and realised, once again, that I had completely forgotten to plan for the SnB.

Am I doomed to never go back to Lettuce? I think I might be, because my mom just called and asked us to dinner next Wednesday! Argh! Hopefully I can swing dinner another night next week instead.

I hereby resolve to try really, really, really hard to make it to next week's SnB. Step one in this resolution will be to actually tell my husband about it so that I have someone to remind me next Tuesday that I need to plan.

Mountain Laurel Counterpane blanket for baby Gelman
Yep, I'm definitely screwed. My math calls for 60 pattern repeats to go all the way around the blanket, and by this morning I'd finished almost 8.

I really like the way the way that border looks! However, the ball of yarn I was using was half gone (I weighed it to see), and I only have one more ball of yarn after that. So, even though I had 7/8 of the border left to do, I had already used up 1/4 of my remaining yarn supply. Not. Good. Therefore, this morning in the car I ripped the entire border back (sob), and started again with a narrower version. There are no pointy edges on this new border, just the braid. Also, there don't need to be so many [SSK, YO] repeats between the braid and the blanket edge. This new border stands a better chance of getting me all the way around the blanket with the yarn I have, but I'm still extremely skeptical. We'll see where I am once the first ball of yarn runs out. One thing is for sure - the schedule for this project is now shot to hell. There's no way I'm going to finish the border by the end of this weekend, especially if I end up having to rip it all back again. This could get ugly.
Hooded jacket for baby Sperling
I didn't work on this at all yesterday because I wanted to forge ahead on the Mountain Laurel Counterpane blanket project. However, the blanket project has reached a stage where I cannot work on it while standing up. This means that if I don't get a seat on the subway, no knitting gets done if I've got the blanket project in my bag. Yesterday was a case in point - I was unable to snag a seat for the majority of my subway commute back and forth. Wasted knitting time is an evil that I simply cannot allow to continue. Therefore, even though I'm behind on the blanket project, I had to bring the hooded jacket project on the subway with me today so that I would be able to knit even if I couldn't get a seat. I've started the right side of the hood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, memory. I had one once. Then I had children. But it is returning, very slowly. Your counterpane looks lovely! Shame about the yarn running out. That's the problem with old stash yarn, there never seems to be enough. I've been going berko on eBay lately, buying lots of patterns and yarn. I'm debating as to whether to buy an old Knitters mag for a Lavold pattern (Cul de sac), coz I just bought some wonderful old yarn (Schaffhauser 'St-Tropez extra' - but do I have enough?), I swatched - and fell in love.