Monday, June 27, 2005

And now for something completely non-green

Behold - my husband's progress on his club cover:

Looks good, eh? He's just a few rows away from cast-off. (For this, he will be learning the three-needle bind-off.) I tried to compliment him last night on how well he was doing, and he refused to accept my kind words. Nonono, the project was no big deal, it was just stocking stitch and simple 2x2 ribbing with some no-brainer colour changes, nothing as fancy as any of my Starmore projects, etc. etc., blah blah blah.

Sigh.

Please feel free to leave comments here telling him that he is an idiot and that he should be very proud of what a great job he's done on his first knitting project.

Mountain Laurel Counterpane blanket for baby Gelman
The sewing is DONE.

I love it. I think it looks awesome. Next: the border. The instructions say to knit the border separately (in one long, thin strip), working as much border as you need to go around the blanket, and then to sew it in place after the fact. To hell with that, I say. I will instead be picking up stitches all around the blanket and knitting the border on as I go. Since the border needs to end at the same point in the pattern repeat where it began (so I can sew the cast-on edge to the cast-off edge and have the whole border look as seamless as possible), and since there are some corners to go around, and since I am (let's face it) pretty anal, I need to be quite precise about how many stitches to pick up, and where. I've already done some math that seems right, but since I don't really trust myself to figure it out correctly the first time, I expect to be able to regale you in the coming days with amusing stories of mathematical disasters.
Hooded jacket for baby Sperling
Here is the completed first sleeve, next to the in-progress second sleeve. (Thus proving that I really am on sleeve #2 and not just recycling a shot of sleeve #1). I am in excellent shape, about five/six days ahead of schedule. Rah.

No comments: