Thursday, May 12, 2005

Firsts

I completed my very first sock today.

I experienced Second Sock Syndrome (SSS) for the very first time today.

My SSS was made even worse by my desire to start my first pair of self-striping socks:

In fact, the only thing preventing me from succumbing to SSS (for the first time) is the fact that the above-pictured yarn is a completely different gauge from what's required in the pattern for the socks I'm working on now. Therefore, I will have to go hunting for a different pattern if I am to use the self-striping yarn. If I had such a pattern easily to hand, I must confess that I probably would already have cast on with the self-striping yarn.

The pull of the self-striping yarn is very strong. But I shall resist. I shall complete the damn second sock so that I can start bragging about my first pair of socks.

And incidentally, this soon-to-be first pair of socks is my daughter's first secret. It will be either a birthday or Father's Day present (depending on how soon I finish) for my husband. She has seen me knitting the socks and asked what they were. So I told her, and I told her it was a secret, and a surprise, and not to tell her dad. Now whenever she sees the socks she says, "You're knitting socks! Shhhhhhh...don't tell Daddy. Iss a secret. Iss a surprise. Shhhhh." :) What are the odds that she will refrain from saying "Don't tell Daddy. Iss a secret." in his presence?

Yeah, I thought so. This will probably end up being my first blown-to-hell surprise knitting gift.

Socks for DH
May I present sock #1:

May I also present the beginnings of sock #2:

(Pictured next to sock #1 so you didn't think I was cheating and recycling an in-progress shot of sock #2.)

No comments: