Sunday, January 30, 2005

Waiting for a package (specifically, a knitting-related package) to arrive in the mail is an interesting experience. It fills me with excitement and anticipation. Each day's visit to the mailbox is that much more interesting. On the other hand, it is also an exercise in patience as the days pass and the package has still not arrived. As well, after all these emotional ups and downs, it can be a very anticlimactic experience if the package is not what one had expected.

At the moment, I'm waiting for the Jamieson & Smith 2-ply jumperweight wool for my grandfather's slipover project (and also possibly for some gloves and even a hat for DH) to arrive. I realise it has to come all the way from the Shetland Isles. But I am still bursting with impatience!!! Friday especially was a real letdown, as the wool's failure to arrive meant that I would have to wait all the way until Monday for another crack at the mailbox. Sniff. Of course, all this waiting-for-a-package anticipation is only heightened by the fact that the slipover is an emotionally fraught project with (very probably) a very limited deadline. Come on, wool, be there on Monday!

Sweater? for baby MacDonald
So I went back to my notes for my book to see what designs are still left to create that I would want to make for this baby. One of them was a cowl-necked cabled sweater. This sounded fun, plus the fact that my co-worker seems to be keen on getting a sweater for his baby, so...I started designing some cables. I'm currently swatching a combination of the cables I worked out to figure out sizing. They look pretty darn good so far.
Poncho for baby Ashthorn
Turns out I do have a circular 3.75mm needle. So I picked up the stitches around the edge and did up a pattern. Unfortunately, I'm not pleased with it. So I think I'm going to rip most of it out and do a simple garter stitch border instead, plus I'm going to do increasing around the corners so that the whole thing will lie flat. I also tested the neckline to make sure it would slide easily over a baby's head by trying it out on my daughter. Result: it's frickin' huge. This will be fun. I guess the neckline will be getting a very thick garter stitch border, maybe with some decreasing!
United Way argyle cardigan for baby Rosatelli
Swatch #3 is finished and looks good. I've now started work on the cardigan itself, and I like it so far!

No comments: