Tuesday, January 11, 2005

It isn't often that I can brag about my daughter in a knitting context - or even a flimsy excuse for a knitting context. But today, I have one. Actually, it's a story from yesterday, but I forgot about it when writing yesterday's blog. That, however, is neither here nor there. Here is the story.

Lying around the living room was the yarn band from one of the skeins of alpaca which MIL gave me for Christmas. Your usual yarn band, except that it expands into a wider circle shape in the middle of the band where the brand and title of the yarn is listed. DD picks up this yarn band, which has held its curled-around-the-yarn shape, and announces, "Wats." (That's 'watch', for those of you who have never had a toddler.) And she's right - the damn thing does look like a watch because that's exactly the way it's shaped. She's a genius. And it was knitting related. (Sorta.)

Alright, here's more knitting-related proof of her brilliance, then. Remember, she's only 19 months old. This week I took out one of my projects in the car, and she looked at me and announced, "Knitting!"

Did I mention she can speak in full sentences already? Alright, I'll shut up about her. For the moment, anyway. Back to knitting.

So...screw the Magic Loop thing, yesterday I started using two circulars on the baby Rosatelli project instead, and I much prefer it. It's therefore too bad that I only brought one circular to work today for the baby Rosatelli project. I'm still not sure how I managed that. Naturally, the needle I brought is the shorter of the two circulars I've been using, which means it's too short to do the Magic Loop trick. But it's still far too long to comfortably accommodate the project. The stitches are now stretched around the circular like nobody's business. Only with acrylci could I get away with this. Another sad thing about discovering the two circulars technique is that I can't use it for the cream Stornaway sweater, since I only have one 3mm circular. Le sigh. I like two circulars because there is only one "point of laddering risk". Also, my hands don't suffer - the DPNs don't jab 'em or get in their way as I knit. It's overall less fiddly and more conducive to getting into the "zone" where I really pick up speed.

In blog news, I have added myself to two more webrings - Knitting Blogs and GTA Knitblogs.

Unknown for baby MacDonald
I still don't know what I'm going to make, but I am contemplating something with the Simpsons on it. I believe this would be received extremely well.
Spanish Knight for Mom
The yarn arrived. It is fantastic. The colour is great. I can't believe I haven't cast the damn project on needles already. What can I say, last night was very busy. I predict that this thing will be on needles within 24 hours, even though the project is not due until December. Am I sad? Yes. Do I care? No.
Stornaway sweater for BIL (cream)
Approximate 25 rows to go before I hit cuff ribbing.
Patons sweater for baby Rosatelli
The pre-yoke body is now complete. I am now working on the cuff ribbing of sleeve #1. Can I just say that 34 stitches on DPNs is ever so mini!

No comments: