Monday, December 06, 2004

My Sweaters for Men book arrived! Very exciting! Unfortunately, the arrival of the package was kind of where the excitement ended. The majority of sweaters in this book do nothing for me. Even the nicer ones are nothing to write home about. This makes me rather sad - I was particularly hoping there would be some way-cool patterns in there I could make for DH and my dad. Sniff. Clearly, I must stop acquiring Starmore's older works. After having borrowed her Fair Isle book from the library, and having bought American Portraits and now Sweaters for Men, I think I can say that it's only her latest works which are the really swizz stuff.

Catherine Parr sweater for MIL
I've decided to do both sleeves at the same time. Why? Because I know me. I hatehatehate going through the entire first sleeve and then having to do the same thing all over again with sleeve #2 - all the feeling of accomplishment over having finished the first sleeve just dies. Doing both sleeves simultaneously doesn't save any time, but at least when it's done, it's done. The added plus is that the gauge will be identical. So right now I'm over half done the borders of both sleeves.
Stornaway sweater for BIL (cream)
THE NECK RIBBING IS DONE. Hallelujiah and praise the whatever. We went to bed late last night so I could finish it, but I think it was worth it. All the slogging has paid off. Now I get to start my first sleeve! Yippee!
Elizabeth I sweater for moi
Got a little bit more done on this - the bottom hem curve shaping is now complete and I'm about to start the first dart.
NEW - Secret Garden cardigan for niece
Yes, another new project. Yes, I'm insane. But! This project is only a potential one. If I finish the two Christmas gifts for my MIL and BIL ahead of time, I'll see if I can get this done for my niece for Christmas. I've got a lovely khaki New Zealand wool in the right gauge which should work well with her fair colouring. It's the Alice Starmore "Secret Garden" pattern from The Children's Collection, which is a gorgeous single-button cardigan with lots of lovely texture patterning.

No comments: