Monday, November 22, 2004

Happy 30th, Adrienne!

Well, I know it's going to look like I got a lot accomplished over the weekend, because of all the projects I made progress on, but overall there wasn't a whole lot of knitting going on. However...

gift for baby Rosatelli
Well, apparently the ultrasound says this baby is going to be a boy. Personally, I don't believe it. The last, like, ten babies born to people in this department have all been girls. Even one baby that an ultrasound said was going to be a boy turned out to be a girl. So my theory is that either the ultrasound is wrong, or my co-worker is going to be getting a new job in another department before the baby is born! However, I'm not going to make a dress or anything like that just to be pigheaded about my theory. I've decided on a very nice two-coloured textured sweater Patons pattern. I'll be doing it in forest green and white. My co-worker has strong colouring (Italian) and although I think his wife is fairer, their child stands a good chance of being able to wear forest green very well. I'm going to alter the colour scheme a bit, though - the pattern calls for mostly a single colour throughout, with a bit of a motif in a secondary colour on the yoke. I'm going to change it up to make the forest green more prominent - the bottom of the sweater will be white, then the yoke will change to forest green and the secondary colour on the yoke will be white. It should look pretty stunning. I'm currently about 4 rows away from being done the ribbing at the bottom - niftily enough, the pattern calls for knitting in the round, which will make the project even more fun than I originally anticipated.
Elizabeth I sweater for moi
I finished the tension swatch. The row gauge is perfect. The stitch gauge is out. AUGH! Doncha hate it when that happens? However, it's only out by two stitches every four inches, and since this is a pretty small sweater, and since I am a pretty small person, the loss of one or two inches around the circumference is not going to ruin it for me. In fact, it will probably make it fit better. So I've started. I've got about an inch and a half done so far.
Catherine Parr sweater for MIL
I estimate that I'm just two rows away from being able to start the front neck shaping.
Stornaway sweater for BIL (cream)
Shoulder straps are done! Those were fun - and man, they look cool. I'm very stoked about how this sweater is going to look. I'm now several rows into the 4.5" neck ribbing. My problem is that the circular needle I'm using is barely small enough to work - it's pretty awkward. I'm going to look up that Magic Loop thing I've heard about and see if it can help. Failing that, I'll just have to buy a smaller 2.75mm circular needle.
Stornaway sweater for BIL (blue)
No work was done, other than moving all the working stitches onto different needles to free up various sizes of circulars for the cream Stornawawy sweater, but one of the other things I did this weekend was figure out a good gift ideal for this BIL for Christmas. So now there is no pressure to complete this sweater this year! (Other than the usual pressure of the softness of the alpaca calling my name, of course.)

No comments: