Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Increased pattern availability!

In my last post, I announced that I was (hopefully temporarily) stopping the sale of my patterns through Etsy and Craftsy due to the new rules for the European Union VAT (value added tax) which came into effect on January 1. This left Ravelry as the only platform I was using to sell patterns, because they (bless them!) had provided a workaround which allowed VAT to be charged to EU buyers and remitted properly without me having to worry about it. I wasn't at all happy about having to shut down operations on those two platforms, because I do get sales through them, which means they allow me to reach an audience that selling on Ravelry alone doesn't provide.

However, in reading all the Ravelry discussion about how this tax change affected designers, I discovered there was another platform which takes care of the VAT for pattern sellers: PatternFish!

So, I got in touch with them (lovely people, very helpful!) and am now delighted to be able to say that many of my self-published patterns, including my ebooks, are now available at PatternFish.

And more good news: Etsy recently announced that they now believe they are responsible for collecting and remitting VAT on "instant download" products sold on their site, so as soon as they actually start doing that for my patterns, I'll be bringing my shop there back online.

And speaking of pattern availability, I have one more piece of good news to announce!

This week I made my Tracery vest pattern available for individual purchase. Do you remember it? It was originally published in The Unofficial Harry Potter Knits, from Interweave Press, and then later in their book, Knitting Wizardry. The vest looks like this:

Tracery vest

When the original magazine issue came out, I was extremely flattered at the number of people who expressed a wish to be able to buy the pattern individually...and now, you can! :)

No comments: