Thursday, September 26, 2013

I geek, therefore I am

I'm shamefully behind on most of my podcast listening, but the one that I'm generally pretty good at keeping up to speed on is a video podcast called Round the Twist. If you're up to speed on it too, then you'll know that the host, Carin, is currently expecting twins, which of course is very exciting. I had come up with some mini amigurumi cupcake patterns when she got married, so naturally I was keen to make something up in honour of her impending babies, too.

What could I make, I wondered. Carin and her guy are deliciously geeky, so I wanted to take advantage of that. Eventually it hit me - geeky bibs! Reversible geeky bibs!

For the dad, a lover of zombie-based video games, we have "Zombaby":

Completed, 'in action', front of light side Completed, 'in action', front of dark side Completed, 'in action', back of light side Completed, 'in action', back of dark side

And then, for the mum, a fan of The Big Bang Theory, we have "Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock":

Completed, 'in action', front of dark side Completed, 'in action', back of light side Completed, 'in action', back of dark side

Completed, 'in action', front of light side

I thought they were hilarious and was really, really pleased with them. And then I thought - I had another reversible bib pattern that I'd unsuccessfully proposed for publication that I was still looking for a "home" for...and yet another reversible bib pattern that was currently in a magazine but which I would be at liberty to self-publish in a few months when the rights reverted back to me...and surely it wouldn't be too hard to come up with another idea for a reversible bib...and then I would have five patterns, and I could make...possibly...a book?

And so, that is exactly what I am going to do. I've released these two patterns for individual sale at $3.50 apiece, and will hopefully be able to release a third later in the autumn, and then probably around December have the last two ready to go. And at that point, I'll have them all out for individual sale, and I'll wrap them all up together in a nice, tidy eBook. (And I'll be setting it up on Ravelry so that if you've already purchased a singleton pattern, you'll get a discount on the eBook.)

I'm super-excited!



BUY


BUY

No comments: