Friday, April 12, 2013

Cowls

So a few Wednesdays ago, Sylvie of Lettuce Knit floated the idea of me knitting her some store samples of my patterns. I thought this was a great idea and floated my Bukhara cowl pattern by her.

bukhara-shot2-rav

This is actually a lot easier than it looks. The colourwork technique here is slipstitching, also known as mosaic knitting. You're only ever working with a single colour at a time (two rows/rounds in one colour, the next two rows/rounds in a second colour, two more rows/rounds in the first colour again, and so-on), but through the devilishly clever and strategic use of slipped stitches, you actually end up making a colourwork pattern. It's excessively cool.

So I took home two skeins (60g each) of The Yarns of Rhichard Devrieze Peppino. And in fairly short order, I had two cowls:

Completed x 2

I should point out, though, that I had to reduce the second cowl by four chart rows (eight rounds) in order to have enough yarn to finish it, so unfortunately I can't say that two skeins of the Peppino will give you two full Bukhara cowls. You will, however, be able to get one cowl and most of a second cowl, which is certainly a fine thing to be able to say. Certainly I ended up with two use-able cowls.

The two colours I used were "Egalité" and "Overly". Overly is the vibrant variegated colour...

Completed

And Egalité is the aqua...

Completed

I like 'em. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautiful - the mosaic pattern is really great for the variegated yarn...
margieinmaryland