Tuesday, January 15, 2013

And even MORE presenting...

My 12-in-12 challenge continues to pay dividends! (The past week has been pretty awesome for that, eh?)

I am once again thrilled to be able to talk about a design that I've been sitting on for a while. This time, it's the Flutterby Tam!

Completed, 'in action'

It's just come out in the latest issue (#14) of Petite Purls (which has some really freakin' awesome patterns in it, I must say; I am getting seriously tempted to stray from my deadline knitting).

It was conceived of just as I describe in the issue - by musing over the leftovers from two pairs of socks, and having the idea of "butterflies" just pop into my head. After a bunch of charting and swatching and pattern writing, I did an initial stab at the garment, using one of the original sock yarns I'd had in mind (the pink one):

Blocking

But I wasn't completely happy with the fit.

I swear, I've lost count of the number of times I re-knit this thing, first to get the sizing I was happy with, and then to test different sizes, such as this one:

Being tried on for size

I also started one in the largest size using the original two yarns I'd had in mind, but I ran out of pink yarn and finished it up with some pink leftovers of another colourway; but you can totally tell. I finally found more of the original pink yarn online and ordered it. One day I will rip back the last bit of that tam and finish the darn thing off. (And hopefully it will still fit DD1 when I finally do.)

At last, though, after all this ripping and re-knitting, I had something that I was happy with. Very happy with.

Completed, 'in action'

The magazine liked it as well, and the rest, as they say, was history!

Completed, 'in ludicrous action'

(Updates on my knitting projects resuming soon, I swear. :)

No comments: