Thursday, June 23, 2011

Why your significant other should know how to knit

Sunday evening, I finished my older daughter's shrug. Therefore, come Monday morning, I had to find something to put in my bag so I could knit on my commute and lunch.

I was feeling a bit uninspired by everything else I had in progress (yeah, what else is new), so I decided to start the Parfait cardi for my friend's daughter that I talked about in my last entry. I printed off the instructions (it may be my own pattern, but I certainly haven't memorized the whole thing), packed up the yarn and needles, and headed out the door.

The observant among you will notice that I did not mention there that I actually packed the instructions that I'd printed. Yep, I left them sitting there on the printer tray.

I realised I was instructions-less on the shuttle bus to the station.

(You know those dreams where you find yourself naked in public? Yeah, it feels a lot like that when you realise there is NOTHING YOU CAN KNIT ALL DAY.)

However!

Sitting at home at that very moment was my husband, who knows how to read knitting patterns. So I called him, told him where the instructions were, and said that I was making the six-year size and needed to know how to get started. He ran me through the number of stitches to cast on, the width of the front bands, the number of pattern repeats to make per tier, and from there my knowledge of the pattern took over and I was able to actually knit for the rest of the day without any trouble.

But can you imagine if he had no idea how to read a knitting pattern? It would have been a tortuous, knittingless day.

So go forth and share your knitting abilities with those closest to you. Some day it may pay big dividends.

No comments: