Thursday, June 23, 2005

Passing the torch

This morning in the car, DD remarked on my knitting. Then we got into a fake argument. "My knitting!" she exclaimed with a big grin (the kind she uses when she is deliberately being silly and wants me to say no to her in a funny voice). "Nooo, it's my knitting," I countered. Things went back and forth predictably a few times (probably with escalating volume, much to the delight [not] of my husband, who was driving), and then, figuring 'what the hell,' I asked her if she wanted to learn to knit. She smiled and nodded.

Be still, my beating heart.

I told her I would be just dee-lighted to teach her how to knit, and that one day when we were sitting down and not riding in a car, I could teach her how. She seemed very keen on the idea.

How about that, eh? Only just turned two and interested in learning how to knit.

Now, I have no illusions that this will actually work. :) There is no way she has the patience (or the dexterity) yet to get it. But I plan to make her feel like she really can help to knit by sitting her in my lap and moving her hands through the process.

Should be interesting. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mountain Laurel Counterpane blanket for baby Gelman
All the half-hexagons are now done. Yippee! As well, the second edge triangle has been completed, and I'm working on the third. I'm hoping to finish all four edge triangles by the end of the day. Then I can start sewing everything together. I'm seriously considering the three-needle bind-off to piece everything together and thus avoid most of the sewing. It'll take longer, but at least it will be knitting (which I like) instead of sewing (which I find mind-numbingly dull).
Hooded jacket for baby Sperling
Last night I finished the right front and fixed the left front. Both fronts are now done, four days ahead of schedule. (Pictures of the fronts - with neck shaping in the right spots - will hopefully be forthcoming tomorrow.) I'm now working on sleeve #1. I'm really hoping to keep up this ahead-of-schedule trend with this project so that I can snag some extra time for all the Christmas projects I have to do.

No comments: