Friday, March 11, 2005

Feelings of horror

It's only 10am and I've had several already.

Firstly, a non-knitting-related feeling of horror occurred last night as the small cough my daughter had on the way home developed into a persistent, nasty-sounding thing over the course of the evening. Her breathing actually sounded fairly scary at one point, but by the time we went to bed it sounded less freaky and I was able to sleep without worrying...too much. Despite the cough, the blessed lamb slept through the night. What a trouper.

The second feeling of horror occurred when DH and I woke up at 6:30 and discovered we had slept past both alarms. We dashed around madly trying to make up for a half-hour of lost getting-ready time, but one of the casualties of our sleeping-in was the downloading of photos for the blog. So, no photos today, sorry. However, this isn't really a big loss since things don't look enormously different from yesterday.

Cape Cod sweater for MIL
The third, and possibly worst, feeling of horror, happened on my bus trip down to the subway this morning. I know that at the beginning of a project, the knitting wraps around and around the needles quite a bit until you get a bit of length going on the project and it starts to hang down from the needles properly. Well, I've got about an inch done on the sweater so far, and it occurred to me that I was still untwisting just a little too much for my comfort. So I checked. Turns out that I managed to twist the work when I joined it up in the round. I now have a lovely little Moebius Strip going. In response to this discovery, many words formed themselves in my brain which were not fit to utter in public. What the hell was I going to do? Given that I was on a bus with a long commute still ahead of me, I did the only thing I could think of...I kept knitting. (I believe the words 'f**k it' summed up my philosophy at the time.) Now that I'm safely ensconced in my cubicle, I'm mentally weighing the pros and cons of ripping the whole thing out and restarting vs. trying to do some very clever surgery. I must admit that I'm leaning towards the surgery. It was just such a damn pain in the heinie to meticulously make sure I had exactly 352 stitches (it takes quite a while to count to 352, double- and triple-checking the whole while), and there's no guarantee I won't make the same boneheaded twisting mistake again. On the other hand, the surgery is likely to be complex and nasty. I'm still leaning towards the surgery, though. Stay tuned.
A Very Harlot Poncho for moi
Worked more on this last night, and it continues to grow. However, so does my frustration with the yarn. I must reiterate that the yarn feels wonderful. And it looks gorgeous. But manohman, what a b***h to work with. After this, I'm swearing off novelty yarns for a goodly amount of time, I tell ya.

Let us hope devoutly that there are no more horrible revelations left in my day.

No comments: